Steak with Chimichurri and Summer Squash is an awesome blend of meat and veggies for a great, filling dinner.
This dish came from one of my favorite cook books: One Pan, Two Plates. I upped the portions and added zucchini, and it was a delicious meal.
I hope you can enjoy it as well!
The original recipe I used for this dish came from “One Pan, Two Plates: More Than 70 Complete Weeknight Meals for Two” by Carla Snyder, pages 97-98 (2013). Used with permission from Chronicle Books, San Francisco. Visit www.ChronicleBooks.com.
- 18 oz skirt steak, at room temperature
- 2 Tbsp steak seasoning
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup minced flat-leaf parsley
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- olive oil
- 3 russet potatoes, scrubbed and diced into 1/4 in cubes
- 2 summer squash (about 8 in long), quartered and cut into 1/4 in slices
- 1 zucchini (about 8 in long), quartered and cut into 1/4 in slices
- 1/2 cup peas
- cast iron skillet
- Cut the steak into two or three portions, so it will cook faster, and rub it on all sides with steak seasoning. Set aside at room temperature.
- In a small serving dish, add 1/3 of the green onions, all the parsley, 1/2 of the garlic, and mix. Add the extra-virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper and mix. Adjust seasoning for the chimichurri sauce as desired.
- In a cast iron skillet, add olive oil over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the steaks and cook, undisturbed, until the bottom is nicely browned, about 4 min. Flip and cook the other side for about 4 min. (Times will vary based on steak thickness and whether you desire more rare or more well done.) Remove the pan from the heat, move the steak to a separate plate and cover with aluminum foil to keep warm.
- In the cast iron skillet, add the potatoes and sauté for about 3 min. You may need to add more oil. Add the squash, zucchini, remaining green onions, salt and pepper and sauté for about 4 min more. Add peas and the remaining garlic . Sauté for about 1 min. Taste and adjust the seasoning as desired. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Cut the steak into thin slices. Add the steak on top of the vegetables. Add some chimichurri on top for garnish then set aside to add more as desired. Serve hot.