Wild Rice Skillet is an easy, one dish meal with great flavors and textures.
I love creamy chicken and wild rice soup when it’s cold outside, but in the summer I like to make meals a little lighter. I had some fresh ground chicken, mushrooms and spinach I wanted to combine with wild rice for a new dish. I Googled for ideas and found a great recipe from “Hot Eats and Cool Reads.”
What follows is my version of their dish.
The original recipe I used for this dish came from here: http://www.hoteatsandcoolreads.com/2013/04/ground-chicken-spinach-mushroom-and.html
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 oz fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 lb lean ground chicken
- 2 cups cooked wild rice
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 3 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 4 cooked bacon, crumbled
- 8 oz swiss cheese, grated
- 12-14 inch skillet
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Melt butter in skillet over medium heat, add onion and mushrooms and cook until golden brown; remove and set aside.
- Add chicken to skillet and brown well. Return onions and mushrooms to the skillet, add wild rice and stir until well combined and hot.
- Add basil and spinach, mix in gently until heated through. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Top with bacon and Swiss cheese and heat in oven until cheese melts.
Wild Rice Image Source: http://www.hoteatsandcoolreads.com/2013/04/ground-chicken-spinach-mushroom-and.html