Chicken Noodle Soup: for those cold days where you just want to warm up, and for those hot days where you eat it because it is just that good.
I personally like to alternate between making this soup with rice or with noodles. Both are great options; it simply depends on what you’re in the mood to eat.
This recipe is a Wassell original!
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 4 celery stalks
- 3 medium-sized carrots, chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 10 cups chicken broth
- 5 cooked boneless chicken thighs, diced
- 8 oz wide egg noodles (or rice, about 1 1/4 cups would do)
- herbs (I leave the choice to you. Some good options could be 2 tsp thyme, 1-2 bay leaves, or 2 tsp dill. Go for what you’re in the mood for! The pictures above were taken using dill.)
- large sauce pot
- 12-inch skillet
- In a large sauce pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add celery, carrots, onions, and garlic. Cook for about 7-8 min, until soft.
- Add flour and mix until thickened. Slowly add chicken broth, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Meanwhile, cook the chicken in a 12-inch skillet. Once cooked, remove from heat and set aside.
- Add chicken, egg noodles, and herbs to the sauce pot. Reduce heat to a simmer and cover for about 20 min. Let stand for about 10-15 min. Serve hot.